Monday, April 23, 2007

The Word or A Word?

Yet among the mature we do impart wisdom…
(1 Corinthians 2:6 – ESV)

You ever notice something about the “words” people get from God that they have to give to you? They are usually very vague, and these "words" usually involve someone getting something, telling them that they are doing good, gaining prosperity, getting healed from an infirmity (while still engaging in the behavior that caused the infirmity) and on and on.

Why is that? Is it because they aren’t really getting “words” and they are just making them up? Or because they just misinterpret them? Or are we taking a period and making it a paragraph? Or because they just come that way, or what? It seems we are getting way too many “words” and we are missing way too much Word.

As far as getting “words from God” is concerned, we shouldn't swing the pendulum too far in either direction. To say that God cannot speak today is to say too much. However, to say that He is always speaking to us in ways outside of the Bible is to do the same thing. The truth is, most on the "words happen today" side go looking for that first, and they are very wrong to do so. Just because God could do so, and you don't find scripture that says He won't do so, doesn't mean He will do so. He certainly isn't doing it all the time, He never did anywhere in biblical times either. Biblical narrative is not biblical normative, and biblical persons are not by necessity biblical precedent for a continuing process.

Sure, they can happen, but to assume they are normative, or even necessary, is to look at things out of order. If it did happen, how would you recognize it if you don’t even know what He sounds like through His Word? How can you expect revelation if you haven’t even had illumination? Most people I have ever known who are truly expecting God by his Holy Spirit illuminating scripture have no time or inclination to go looking for words outside of the Bible. Too many go searching for these other things first, and they cannot even discern His voice in His Word, and so no wonder they go sailing off into the soil of their own imagination.


16 comments:

Even So... said...

John Piper is my homeboy...

donsands said...

Nice post.

Our own imaginations combined with our emotions can be incredibly, and powerfully, deceiving.

Anonymous said...

You have a way with "words", JD. I would love to hear more on this subject.

Marcian said...

I know people who have gone this route of extra-biblical revelation, and I can't seem to divorce from this their lack of boundaries in other areas in their lives that make them incredibly unsettled people. They are literally blown and tossed about by the wind. One day God says "something" to them about their future, then months down the line things go belly-up, and it's all I can do to bite my tongue to keep from saying anything...

Of course, this extra-biblical revelation can get out of hand even by the most well-meaning of people. If God DID speak to me, I'd probably not tell anyone because it probably wasn't meant for them anyway.

Just my two cents.

Even So... said...

their lack of boundaries in other areas in their lives that make them incredibly unsettled people

Very insightful, and well said...

Craver Vii said...

It's hard to discuss with someone who claims to have had "a word from the Lord," and not offend them. If we talk about Scripture, we can both go to a passage and look at it together. Voila; it says what it says. But talk about this personal revelation, and you can't really argue with their personal experience and not let it feel like a personal attack at the same time.

If God DID speak to me, I'd probably not tell anyone because it probably wasn't meant for them anyway.

Marcian, that sounds like a very intelligent thought flow.

Anonymous said...

Once again Even So, I find your commentary thoughtful and balanced...not swinging the pendulum too far in either direction. Thanks!

Even So... said...

Hey Chris, did you notice that some of your words (from a previous conversation) became my words, so to speak?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I found myself kinda gettin' puffed up! LOL

Dan said...

It's hard to discuss with someone who claims to have had "a word from the Lord," and not offend them

Craver, that is so true. In my experience the people who tend to say that a lot are very feeling or emotionally directed people and easily offended. However we can still, and should, use the Word to correct and rebuke where neccessary those "words" when spoken inaccurately.

Sista Cala said...

If the 'words from the Lord' are the genuine article, they will be confirmation rather than some new revelation. When someone comes to me w/words... I consider the source. If he/she is a true mouthpiece of God, living the life and bearing the fruit, I will listen. If not, I have been known to confront the person w/something like this: I hear God for myself, everyday when I read His Word. I don't think I need a special messenger today. Thank you. I know that is a bit hard- but I find that 'flakes' need to be dealt w/head on and in straight language.

Even So... said...

Yes, very good points, sista...

Anonymous said...

Even So - If you would be so kind......I come from a verrrry conservative (legalistic) background so I wasn't exposed to "words" until I "broke away" from that side of the pendulum. Would you mind giving us a little background on today's "words"? When and where did they come from? Or have they always been around?

Even So... said...

Lengthy subject...perhaps in a later post...

Anonymous said...

OK, I just thought maybe there was a "Cliff Notes" version.

Anonymous said...

I am always sitting back and just listening and watching. I have seen things spoken come true. But for the most part too many just rattle at the mouth and it is not of God.