Saturday, April 14, 2007

Saturday Spotlight – Thirsty Theologian


When discussing blog sites that are truly more than “must visits”, they are absolute “must stops” on your every day browsing, there are really not as many as you might think. Sure, there are lots of great Christian sites, and some cater to certain interests and all are good stuff, indeed. However, there are some sites that you just have to go to every day. They save time, effort, and allow you to focus on all the current issues with a Christian perspective.

Now let me get real and personal with you. I think my site is great for devotional and doctrinal material, it is intended as my pastoral outreach and overflow, a labor of love. But this site doesn’t always hit all the topics (though it some times does) as they are coming down the pike. That is not what our primary focus is here; it is biblical exposition and commentary, hopefully accurate and insightful at that. Now some sites do give the news, and they are known for it, and they may even be seen as negative, but I am glad they are out there. Still, one site that I visit every day gives you many different perspectives, all Christian of course, mostly Reformed, and certainly Biblical and/or conservative, and also posts his own stuff. This site gives you the best of the Christian blogosphere each day: covering news, devotion, doctrinal issues, biblical exposition, sermons, and on and on, this site does it all. He even has a very good sense of humor.

What place has fine thought stimulating posts, and collects links to other great posts nearly every day, and has permanent links to all the best bloggers of the blogosphere? Where can you find all this treasure wrapped up in one place? The Answer: The Thirsty Theologian

David Kjos (pronounced Chos – like boast with out the b or t) does all this and he moderates over at Challies, a high honor, in my opinion. He was even nominated King for A Week (THE most highly prized award in this corner of the Blog World). Do yourself a big favor, go see what I am talking about, and bookmark that site, you won’t regret it. Folks, this is a Christ centered, God honoring site that I recommend without reservation, and that to me is saying a lot. Thirsty Theologian, the spotlight is on you…


16 comments:

Danny Wright said...

Thanks much for that info.

ann said...

Thank you. I added it to my Google Reader list.

David said...

Thanks, J.D. I'm beginning to be puffed up with all this attention lately. Someone is going to have to knock me down a peg soon!

Even So... said...

Sure...that pipe smoke stinks, you're hair is a mess, and North Dakota...what's up with that?

David said...

Hey, now! My wife bought me the tobacco I currently smoke, and even she says it doesn't stink. Don't even start on ND. I've got plenty to say about FL (like, is voting really that difficult?)!

Yeah, I know--my hair is a mess.

Even So... said...

Oh you said knock you down a peg, not three...alrighty then...

re: Florida - what temperature is it there right now?

voting: if we don't make those mistakes, algore is pres, and we all bike to work...

:-)

Even So... said...

Oh and can I have some of that hair?

pearlie said...

Nice blog you have here ... will come by to visit more. God bless.

Halfmom said...

Thanks for the reference - I was overwhelmed by the amount of material there.

For me, blogging is on again/off again as my schedule allows. The purpose - to write whatever was on my heart, what I was learning, what I was being told, what I would teach or say to young adults if they were here. It's interesting to think of "types" of blogs - I don't have any idea what mine fits into - it's just there for now because that is what, over 2 years ago, the Holy Spirit said to do - and I, unlike Craver, did not, at first, jump in the center of the pool!

Jonathan Moorhead said...

Totally agree. Wow, this is the first time I've seen the pipe smoke! What will Kachoak come up with next?

jazzycat said...

J.D.
This is a great site and although I have not visited often, I plan on making it more regular stop.

Anonymous said...

Hey JD - Help! I'm revealing my ignorance here, but I really don't understand the difference in the Reformed, credobaptist, Modalism, type of headings that I found on the Thirsty Theologian....would you address these?

Lynda R

PS I need your direct email addy.

Even So... said...

Hey Lynda

Reformed can mean more things than David (or I) am identifying by being placed in that group, but basically it means agreeing with the classic ideas esposed by the acrostic TULIP, the "doctrines of grace" as you have heard me in Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings refer to...in essence it is about God being sovereign in salvation...

credo baptist means we baptize people who profess belief, not before, as with paedobaptists, who baptize infants (presbyterians, other Reformed folk)...

modalism the (heretical) belief that God is not a trinity of persons in the one God, but rather, God exists acting in different modes...this has been refuted many times throughout church history, and it is a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE deal...modern day proponents include TD Jakes...you can see some great work on this over at Jonathan Morehead's site, linked in my sidebar...

hope that helps...can do much more if needed...

email is available on my profile page, but it is

primesoul@hotmail.com

Blessings...

Anonymous said...

ok - that helps some...but confuses too. TD Jakes is a proponent for the heretical belief that God is not 3 in 1 but 1 in 3? i confess to having listened to some of his teachings and thinking they were very good, though I don't know that they addressed this particular issue. Please advise and continue....
Thanks!
Lynda R

Even So... said...

Lynda, go see Jonathan Moorhead's stuff, you can find it on the left sidebar down a bit at Thirsty's...

Even So... said...

I will send an emil if you need it with more stuff, perhaps we will post soon, but remember we have a few articles on the Trinity here at this site already...

I do have other concerns with Mr. Jakes as well...