Friday, September 01, 2023

Lord, Get Me Out & Keep Me Out


Lord, keep me away from trouble, but if I get in trouble, get me out of trouble. Don’t you wish that God gave you a simple prayer like that? A simple prayer for complex situations? A prayer for when you are headed for trouble, or to keep you from trouble, or to get you out of trouble? A prayer for your loved ones, too?

Well, Jesus has done exactly that.

Matthew 6:13 says – And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. This is part of what is called “The Lord’s Prayer.” This is Jesus teaching his disciples how to pray. And this is a picture of prayer, a framework for how to pray. It isn’t meant as something you are supposed to just repeat, although it isn’t necessarily bad when you do. And the petitions of this prayer are definitely the kind of things Jesus says you need to pray about.

Now, how do you explain to somebody who is reading this verse the truth that God never leads you into temptation, if this verse you are supposed to ask him not to? The word “lead” seems to say that God is actively subjecting you to temptation. But the Bible clearly says that God doesn’t tempt people. James 1:13 says – Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one

So, what is going on here?

Well, James 1:2, using the same Greek root word says this – Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds. The same Greek root that is translated as temptation in Matthew 6:13 is translated as trials in James 1:2. That seems to clear this up a bit. And yet, Luke 22:40 uses the same root word when Jesus says, “Pray that you may not enter into temptation.” 

So again, what is going on here? Are you supped to pray that you won’t be tempted, but when you are, you’re supposed to be happy about it?

No, that’s not what Jesus was talking about in the Lord’s Prayer.

You see, there are different sorts of temptations and trials. There are those that come from within you, and those that come at you. Jesus was tempted greatly from the outside. But he was never tempted on his inside. He had no desire to sin. He had no doubt about God. He IS God. And the idea here in the Lords’ prayer is that you pray for God to keep you from trouble, whether it be severe trials, or strong temptations to sin. It is a prayer for protection. Lord, keep me out of trouble. And it is also a prayer for deliverance. Lord, if I get in trouble, get me out of trouble. Lord, don’t let me fall for the temptations of this world. But when I fall, help me get back up.

Lord, keep me from committing evil, and don’t let me fall into evil, or be attacked by evil, but get me out of evil. Again, it is Lord, don’t let me get in trouble, get me out of trouble.

Now that is a prayer you need to pray every day. Before you get in trouble, and when you’re in trouble, and for others in their troubles. Jesus said pray to God that he would protect you, and deliver you. Amen.     


“Living For Today With An Eye For Tomorrow”©

No comments: