This Golden Rule is the essence of a faithful life (Leviticus 19:18 / Matthew 22:37-40 / Romans 13:8-10 / Galatians 5:14 / James 2:8). This is to be our guiding principle in following Jesus.
The Golden Rule is not…
• Do unto others or they will do unto you
• Do unto others before they do unto you
• Do unto others because they have done unto you
• I won’t do unto others so that they won’t do unto me
• Do unto others as they would have you do
• Do unto others so that they will do unto you
• I won’t do unto others because they won’t do unto me
The Golden Rule is…
• Universal (whatever you wish that others would do to you)
• Positive action (do also to them)
• Grounded in divine revelation (for this is the Law and the Prophets)
We cannot simply say, “Go out and live in perfect obedience to everything God said and then you will be like Jesus.” If anyone could do that, then Jesus was not the unique Son of God. You need Jesus or you will not be able to walk the road, but we can walk it by faith, knowing that He has accomplished the walk for us, and when you fall He lifts you up. It is not your walk, your good works, it is His. Jesus IS the Golden Rule (Matthew 5:17), the way the truth and the life of it. Only He meets the measurement.
By the way, just because you do it doesn’t mean others will...it is the Golden Rule, not the Guaranteed Reciprocal.