Monday, February 09, 2009

Oh No You Don’t!

But to the wicked God says: "What right have you to recite my statutes or take my covenant on your lips?
(Psalm 50:16 – ESV)

Have you ever watched a program, or seen a conversation where someone who is an unbeliever nevertheless uses Jesus or the bible as an authority for what they say? It is tough when you watch them torture scripture or misrepresent the Christian message. Don’t you just hate it when they seem to get away with it, especially if you had an answer for them?

If unbelievers try and appeal to Jesus or say that you cannot do this or that because Jesus wasn’t like that, well, how would they know? “I’ve read the bible”, they will say. Sure. Anyway, 1 Corinthians 2:14 tells us they cannot truly understand it unless they are submitted to it. You can only exercise authority to the extent you are under that authority. Unless they quote chapter and verse, correctly understanding the context, then their rants are just useless interference and pure speculation. Why are they using Jesus as if they knew Him? You don’t have to argue with them, just correct their misunderstandings with scripture.

If they don’t believe in Christianity, why would they care what Jesus said anyway? For them to use Him as a reference against His own is absurd. What’s more if they think they know how Jesus would react or do something and it isn’t how we would do it, then what is stopping them from becoming a Christian? Why would they not follow Christ if He were so good compared to us? If they like how Jesus does it shouldn’t they call themselves true Christians?

Well we as true Christians know that He is so good compared to us and we don’t always do what Jesus would do or even know what that would be. But we are following Him and learn from Him, unlike those who just want to use Jesus as some sort of opposition to His followers when they have no real clue what Christianity is all about anyway.

Don’t get mad at people like that; just correct their incorrect assertions with the correct scripture, and pray for them. This is just one more reason they will have absolutely no excuse at the judgment. Those that talk so loud now will say “Lord, Lord (and they will say Lord all right), it was your followers fault I didn’t believe in you.” He will say, “Were you following them or me?” “If you thought they were false compared to me then why didn’t you live like me as an example? But no, you followed your own ideas, and you didn’t love me, and you hated those that did love me, and you will now go where you wanted to be from the start, away from me, and away from those that love me, forever….”

“Living For Today With An Eye For Tomorrow”©

27 comments:

donsands said...

Idle words will be accounted for.

Thanks JD for these good words. It's so true.

Even So... said...

Indeed, Don, we have to just keep planting seed. but in those "one off" encounters we must defend Our Lord by knowing scripture, this will give them something to think about rather than just our opposition...we must be filled with the Spirit (Ephesians 5:18), rightly handing the Word of Truth (2 Timothy 2:15) and ready to give an answer (1 Peter 3:15)...

Anonymous said...

You have been giving us very practical applications recently...thank you

Even So... said...

You are quite welcome...I really want to discuss biblically those areas where we forget, or the ones that aren't talked about very often..these are the front burner isues we deal with every day, and yet we see so little written about them...

Even So... said...

As a matter of fact, if there are things you or anyone else would like to discuss, situations especially, let's ask and then we will look into them biblically, together...

"What Do You Do When...?"

Sounds like a whole new category...

Maybe on a specific day, like "What Do You Do When...?" Wednesday's or something, well, maybe not, but bring anything you want addressed and we'll try and tackle it...I'm sure others will have been in situations that will bring wisdom to us all as well....

Even So... said...

Again, not

"what about this or that doctrine?"

but

"what do you do in this or that situation?"....

Anonymous said...

Uh oh Pastor JD...you don't know what you're inviting (from me)! :) "What do you do in this or that situation?" has been THE biggest problem area in my entire Christian walk....with friends, other Christians, but especially with my nucleus family.

Even So... said...

Oh no you di-n't!

Chris in your case perhaps you should email me a list, and then we can address those one at a time, and as we have wisdom to answer or put it out there for everyone to comment on...

:-)

Anonymous said...

Very powerful JD, yet with the simplicity to get much from God's Words.

Since I started back at work I have really missed our visits.

JD, we have had plans to be in Orlando this weekend for some time now, just wanted you to know were not just skipping and I'm getting a small message together (with God's help) for Melissa and myself for Sunday.

Thanks for always being there when I need some sound biblical wisdom, JD.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to ask you a question when you're "Come On In" blog was up.....but I refrained......so let me know when you're ready.... :)

Craver Vii said...

Cute cartoon. I can just imagine you saying that. (LOL)

Communication is tough when each party doesn't understand all the rules. But it is such an honor to be chosen by the King to be His, and to represent Him to a world that is in darkness! Whenever we face these communication challenges, we must be patient, remembering that it is better to be on this side than on the other.

Anonymous said...

GReat post and LOVE the graphic!!! Too cute!

IN Christ,

Angela :-)

Even So... said...

Craver, I can really do this big time, ask Margie, or my grandkids, they die laughing from it...you should see the head move and hand and hip swivel plus the vocal inflection...oh yes, this guy is a certified MASTER of the technique...

Dan said...

He speaks the truth Craver. You would be amazed at some of J.D's abilities!

Even So... said...

8-30-07

MrsEvenSo... said...

“If you thought they were false compared to me then why didn’t you live like me as an example? But no, you followed your own ideas, and you didn’t love me, and you hated those that did love me, and you will now go where you wanted to be from the start, away from me, and away from those that love me, forever….”

Ouch.

...oh yes, this guy is a certified MASTER of the technique...

Indeed!

Even So... said...

Oh No You Di-in't, Honey!!!!

MrsEvenSo... said...

That was quick!

Even So... said...

That is what I was just thinking...

Even So... said...

You had better not tell 'em how our granddaughter's dressed me up ike a diva and had me doing the whole shebang...

Even So... said...

uh, oh...

Even So... said...

Live with THAT disturbing image, dear readers...


:-)

Even So... said...

Now all of our lurkers are saying to themselves...

...wait for it...

Oh no, you di-in't...

MrsEvenSo... said...

For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds. Heb 12:3

MrsEvenSo... said...

I just thought I'd get us back on topic!

Even So... said...

That's my better half, folks...

T said...

Great post!

The graphics add a little fun to a serious subject.

And for all of you who have never seen it.... he really does do the "Oh no you di-nt" quite well!