Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Seeker Friendly

…And I will not be a burden, for I seek not what is yours but you…
(2 Corinthians 12:14 – ESV)

Surely as Christians we want to connect with people, but the best way to do that is to make sure we are connected to God first. That may bring an “of course” thought in your mind, but hear me out. It is true that showing special interest makes people feel special and gets special results. Most often, if you give it your best it will bring out their best. However, you have to remember to be looking to give not get, otherwise you will be disappointed. We often get angry because we feel we have given extras but it went unrecognized. We need to heed the lesson God is teaching us through the Apostle Paul. Pour yourself out to people, but go further than the world would and pour out your expectations as well, that is learning of Christ as Paul had done. It is when we can be poured out, spent, and not appreciated that we connect with God in a very real way.

I seek not yours but you – this is the testimony of every godly minister. They do not serve for what they can get from God’s people, but for what they can give to God’s people. Now some think they are seeking to give but they are still seeking to get, not money but recognition, approval, validation from men. Faithfulness is more important than friendliness. We do this by seeking to be connected to God, to be faithful to His Word, before we seek connection with men. A minister should be able to say that he is not seeking your approval but seeking your improvement.

This will lead to the right kind of burden, a burden to build, in the right way. Some can build the number of members, but God wants to build the members in our numbers. Some focus on church growth but God wants to focus on people growth, not numbers but godliness, not the quantity but the quality. Numbers can be wonderful if more are truly getting connected with God in a deeper way. However, chasing numbers just for the sake of more may mean more are connected overall but not percentage wise, and not very deep either. It is a mile wide and an inch deep, and leads to being led astray by chasing and feeding the monster of ministry. Before God is interested in any Christian’s ministry, He is interested in the minister.

“Living For Today With An Eye For Tomorrow”©

4 comments:

MrsEvenSo... said...

Now some think they are seeking to give but they are still seeking to get, not money but recognition, approval, validation from men.

Ouch. This is a trap I find myself in more often than I like to admit. Not that I have recognized it as such at the time. However, when considering it after the fact I am guilty as charged especially with family members. I tend to put much undo pressure on myself trying not to disappoint others expectations (or at least what I "think" they might be).
Father God, please continue to grow me up in your Word so that others see only you through the things I say and do; help me to understand it is only You I need to please; and continue to show me how. Amen

Even So... said...

Good comment, honey...

Christopher Cohen said...

Oh Man! And I thought Mrs. Evenso was perfect. Now I'm dissapointed. :)

It is hard for me not to look for some form of approval wether it is a look, or a nod. Something to let me know things are good. Otherwise, my mind wanders and I begin to believe that no one thinks I do anything good, so I might as well give up. There is balance in there somewhere, as long as I'm not completely being disapproving to God.

I think C.S. Lewis said something like if God is not approving of us, who do we think we are trying to gain approval of men. That's a total misquote, but it's the general idea.

Nettie said...

It is when we can be poured out, spent, and not appreciated that we connect with God in a very real way.

I guess I really must be connected with God. HA HA :)