Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Don’t Deny It

Elijah was a man with a nature like ours…
(James 5:17a – ESV)

As we first begin to age into adolescence, we begin to see the world through looking at others, and not simply from our own view. As this happens, we often find ourselves looking at heroes, and how we love to have them inspire us. Inevitably, as we reach a greater maturity, we find out they had feet of clay, they had flaws, as do all people, greater and lesser.

Yet this fact should not discourage us all that much. Their failures do not change the great things they did; it only makes the fact that they were able to do them more appreciable. Instead of wondering how they could do such great things while being so inconsistent, marvel at the wonder that God was able to use them to do such great things in spite of themselves.

To deny the complexity of men is to deny the human condition. To deny the achievements of a man because of his flaws is to deny the very power of God that shines through them.

Instead of looking to men as our ultimate example, let us look at God’s light through men to see its source, our ultimate example, Jesus Christ, who is able shine His radiant light through our dark humanity.

Don’t deny our Lord His glory.

“Living For Today With An Eye For Tomorrow”©

9 comments:

donsands said...

Thanks for the exhortation my brother. I'm encouraged in the truth and in the Spirit.

Even So... said...

I was inspired by the video at your site that your son in law put together...

Halfmom, AKA, Susan said...

Just saying good morning and seeing if you have been following the blog debacle between my blog and bluecollar and if you have any comments or advise for me on how to help - if there is any. I think both groups totally misunderstand how their comments sound to the other - actually, even to me. It is all very sad.

The young man responded to Ted's comments - you might find the answers interesting

Even So... said...

Susan, check this out, it was posted on Dr.Sam Storms website just yesterday...

http://www.enjoyinggodministries.com/enjoying-god/the-most-eloquent-advertisement-for-the-gospel-2-cor-63/

Even So... said...

I'll also be answering the "how could we get all this biological diversity from the Ark?" argument tomorrow on this blog, vis-à-vis a question of my own...

Susan, in all candor, we do need to try and see their side, the rationale behind their positions, and feel the force of them, in a sense, before we simply dismiss them.

When people can only prop up a conviction by refusing to hear the evidence against it, they do not really hold the conviction. We need to take them seriously before we renounce them as mere mockers. This is what I was intimating on the post “Time to Move On”. The force of our own arguments carries more weight when we understand the others side, or at least try to. No, we cannot know as much about it as they do, but we can hear what they say, so as to respond in a more understanding way. One good thing to do is to start by agreeing on certain words, like for instance “what do you mean by the word, ‘heart’?”

Even So... said...

Top row (l-r)

Martin Luther King, John Calvin

Bottom row (l-r)

Martin Luther, George Washington

Halfmom, AKA, Susan said...

Storm's post was wonderful!!

I liked the story especially and pray for an equally providental outcome as well. What makes me saddest I think is that in this past exchange I feel like I have to give up on brothers before non-believers. There's a rather stinging post against something I said to Jazzy on his blog from another of the bluecollar group. It's taken out of the context I meant it in, of course, but I don't have the energy to try to correct it when no one is listening anyway.

In addition, an instigator moved from bluecollar to Jazzy's blog and copied part of a message from me to Jazzy - only part mind you and not in context with the rest of the conversation - and posted it on Lorenzo's blog.

I'm growing very weary of the whole thing.

donsands said...

"I'm growing very weary .."

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart."

You are doing good in our Lord. Keep on my sister.

"But God forbid that I should boast except in the Cross of our Lord Jesus Christ."

Even So... said...

Stay the course, dear one...