Thursday, November 15, 2007

Baptism and Communion


…teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you…
(Matthew 28:20 – ESV)

The teaching Jesus is talking of includes many things, of course, but it basically comes down to Luke 14:27, "Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple." Not simply hardship but dying to the old attitudes, the old, destructive ways, and living for Jesus, turning to follow Him in newness of life. John 8:31-32 – This includes evangelism, stewardship, fellowship, worship, discipleship of others, etc. It also includes Communion.

Just as baptism symbolizes our entry into the family of God and into the discipleship process, in a sense Communion symbolizes the teaching process, the ongoing discipleship process, and the all that I have commanded you. This is one reason church membership is like baptism, not that it saves or that you aren’t saved if you don’t do it, but that it is a sanctification issue, a growing in grace, and that is done in community.

Yes it is an individual thing, but it is done within the context of a covenant community. You are baptized in public and then you take Communion and attend church, which is obviously in public. Jesus said we are not to hide the light we have underneath a bushel. We are to be baptized for others to see and to know and we are to take Communion together, not as a private thing but as a public demonstration that we are following Christ, we are united together, we are being discipled within a community, and we are looking forward to His return.

Baptism into God’s church, the church universal and its local expression, are baptism into the community of faith, and that comes before communion with the community. Oh you can still have fellowship with those in community but you don’t truly share in the intimacy of what that community stands for unless you have been baptized. That is why churches down through history have insisted that someone should be baptized before they ever partake of Communion, which is the right order.

If you have been taking Communion at any church and you haven’t been baptized, then get in order, and get baptized today, perhaps this is the thing that will get you going on with God. You are missing something if you haven’t been baptized, the Bible says that plainly. Why worry about what exactly that is and how exactly to define it, obey the example and command of Jesus and the testimony of the apostles and saints all down throughout the Christian era, and be baptized because of the remission of your sins, set yourself apart today and set yourself up to be used of God today and tomorrow.


“Living For Today With An Eye For Tomorrow”©

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"....baptism.....or that you aren’t saved if you don’t do it,.."

I never told you this, but you made this statement in church when I first started visiting Riverside. I was so upset about it (you know my background). I remember thinking about all that you had just said about baptism and then wrapped it up with, "not that you aren't saved if you don't." So I'm asking myself, "how can he say all that about baptism and then wrap it up with...but you don't have to do it"?

Anyways, it was kind-of a "hook" for me. I determined to find out exactly what ya'll were about and here it is....2-1/2 years later! :)


"....and be baptized because of the remission of your sins,..."

Several versions of Acts 2:38 says, .."and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ FOR the forgiveness (remission) of sins". FOR is not BECAUSE OF....that is different, right??

BTW, I appreciate the info we are getting on Wed., even tho it may be tedious for you.

Anonymous said...

Does the NT example of partaking / participating in Communion indicate the frequency? Has it been left up to our discretion?

Even So... said...

Yes, it can be interpreted as "for" but it can also be interpreted "because of" and our thoughts regarding cerain issues will directly afffect how we look at it...

As with this and many passages, I appeal to the whole of scripture...and as I just commented elsewhere on another blog about another passage where we must consider type, genre, and authorial intent, so I will paste it here...

Indeed, it is the whole "spirit" of the thing, not some wooden, immature, triumphalistic, "well it says this!" thingy (drop that snake, dude!)...and BTW, the plain sense isn't always so plain...

It ain't what it says, it's what it means that counts...

Even So... said...

Does the NT example of partaking / participating in Communion indicate the frequency? Has it been left up to our discretion?

Good questions...it does seem as if they broke bread every time they met, but it also speaks of whenevere you do it, with no definitive frequency...there is a lot of info on this from all over, as I am sure you can imagine, but suffice it to say I would like to do it every week, as part of our after service meal...but I will not fret if that never comes to fruition...

Anonymous said...

"well it says this!" thingy (drop that snake, dude!)...

I love it! (And I also plead guilty)


"..the plain sense isn't always so plain..."

I have come to that understanding!

donsands said...

Good exhortation brother.

Participating in the Lord's supper is a serious and joyful command from our Lord and Savior.
We are to remember what He did for us, how His body was broken like the bread, and His precious blood spilled for our sins, and the wine represents this.

What a wonderful and holy charge this is.

I benefit greatly from it. My church celebrates His command once a month, and my pastor always speaks from the Word concerning this ordinance. The Word spoken while we all partake is what causes this time to be full and genuine.
I received the elements hundreds of times as a Catholic, and it never meant much to me. As a child I believed what the nuns and priests told me, but then it was the same every Sunday, and it used to be in Latin when I was young. And so it had no power, no meaning to me.

And I imagine it can be the same in the Protestant churches.

Just thinking out loud a little.

Even So... said...

I imagine it can be the same in the Protestant churches.

So do I...

Milton Stanley said...

I applaud your conclusion. Christians can (and do) split hairs over the exact nature of baptism and that exact moment at which salvation is effected. But can we not all agree that Christians are commanded to submit to it at the threshold of their faith?