Friday, October 20, 2023

Through the Lens of God


You need to see your circumstances through the lens of God, instead of seeing God through the lens of your circumstances. I’ve said that many times, and I’m sure I’ll say it again many more times. But today, I want to explain that a little further. So let me say it again. You need to see your circumstances through the lens of God, instead of seeing God through the lens of your circumstances.

Now what does that mean? And what do you need to do to make sure you get this right?

It means you need to get the order right. If you start by meditating on your current circumstances and then reason from there to the character of God, you are going to see him wrong. In other words, if you look at your problems, and ask yourself, “What does this tell me about God?” you’re headed in the wrong direction, you’re going to draw the wrong conclusions, and you’re going to make some wrong choices.  

If you want to start getting this right, start from the right starting point.

Instead of meditating on your current circumstances and then reasoning from there to the character of God, start by meditating on God, and then see your circumstances in light of that. In other words, start by looking at who God is. God is sovereign, God is good, and God is working all things together for my good. Then you tell yourself, “My circumstances are a part of God working his good purpose in and through my life.”

When you start by reminding yourself of God’s good character and good purposes, then you’re headed in the right direction, you’re going to draw the right conclusions, and you’re going to make some right choices.  

And you can pray about this – Lord Jesus, help me see as you see, so I would be as you would be. 

“Living For Today With An Eye For Tomorrow”©

No comments: