Monday, May 08, 2023

I Thank God for You


In 1 Thessalonians 1:2, the Apostle Paul, speaking for himself, Silas, and Timothy says, “We give thanks to God always for all of you.” Salvation is something that God initiates, and salvation is something God continues. God gives us a new nature and a new direction. And that was being evidenced by how the Thessalonians received the word of God, and how they were living out the word of God. Paul, Silas, and Timothy knew that God had started, and was continuing, a work in this church. So, they were thankful. And Paul was about to tell them how and why they were thankful.  

When is the last time you told someone that you were thankful for them? And when is the last time you told someone why you were thankful for them? And when is the last time you thanked God for them in prayer?  

People often talk about “praying for you.” And that is good, of course. It is encouraging when someone tells you that they are praying for you. But how encouraging would it be if instead of just telling someone you were praying for them, you also told them that you were thanking God for them? And why you were thanking God for them? Imagine how that might impact your relationship with people. And with God. And you don’t even have to imagine. You can read about it in God’s word. And you can see that God wants you to thank him for other people.

I thank God for the people in our church. I thank God for the confirmation that he is still working to save people, and to grow people. And I thank God that I can see examples of people who have been strong in the faith for many years. And I thank God for all those who have fallen back, but who God turns around. I thank God for all those I don’t really agree with, and even those who I don’t get along with, but who I know are Jesus’ people still. Whoever you are, wherever you are, whenever you are, I thank God for you, all of my brothers and sisters in Christ.   


“Living For Today With An Eye For Tomorrow”©

No comments: