Thursday, August 17, 2023

Why Bother?

The other day, I was praying, and the thought I had to battle was that God is always going to make me struggle. Like he’s never going to give me straight blessings, but I’ll always get extra burdens, because I’m living under constant discipline. So, I thought, do I really need to put this much time and effort into it? It doesn’t seem to make any difference. Why bother?

I get tired of all the turmoil. What really gets to me is always having to do maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. In every sphere of life. Can’t you ever just be done with something? Is there never a time when you don’t have one thing or another troubling you? Maybe you’ve felt what I was feeling, like, why bother? Just put up with it, this is just the way it is. Now it’s not like I don’t understand endurance and perseverance. It’s a big part of what I teach every day. But I was thinking, where is my energy for all this?

I know that there is much more to the picture. I know I don’t deserve or earn God’s blessings anyway. It’s all from his grace. Amen. But it’s like I was feeling a sort of reverse prosperity gospel. You know that you can’t name it and claim it, but you feel like not even bothering to ask because you’re not going to get the relief or rescue that you want anyway. Just the realization of this made me understand that I always have room to grow. If I want to grow. If I will be honest with God about what I am really feeling.

I’ve had to learn this lesson before. And I also realized, once again, that I need to keep my gospel tank full. I’ve got to keep hearing the Good News. From all the Bible. For all the facets of my life. If I don’t, the fatigue of life, ministry, relationships, and responsibilities will drain me to the point of apathy and lifeless discouragement. 

I’m praying for your encouragement, your gospel-empowered energy, because the fatigue of frustration can make your life hard to keep straight.

Why bother? Because Jesus is worth it. And you’re worth it. 


“Living For Today With An Eye For Tomorrow”©

No comments: