Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Jesus, Preach to Me!


Hebrews 2:14-15 says that Jesus took on human flesh that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery. The fear of death is the greatest fear. But Jesus delivers us from that. And he can and does deliver us from all other fears. We just need to hear him speak to us. And he does, through his word, in the power of his Spirit, by the proclamation of a faithful preacher, who represents Jesus as the true preacher. We meet with Jesus and he calms our fears. We meet with Jesus and he brings us faith.

 

As Hebrews 2:17-18 says, Jesus has become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted. Jesus sees us in our jars of clay and shows us his power. We are human, broken, vulnerable, needy, and guilty, and he gives us forgiveness, help, and hope. Jesus knows me. Jesus understands me. Jesus feels me. And Jesus helps me to know him, and to feel him, and to understand him. And that is how and why I worship him. 

You know, even when people aren’t afraid of dying, sometimes they are afraid of living. But as you mature in Christ, you can be in awful situations, and very trying circumstances, and yet you can still have courageous confidence, and find comfort in Jesus preaching to you. Then you can say – I don’t know why. I don’t know how. But I know God. 

Before you come to Christ, you think – I don’t want to die. 

After you come to Christ, you think – Praise God, I’m not afraid to die. 

As you mature in Christ, you think – Lord I don’t mind leaving, and sometimes I think I want to, because this place isn’t my home. 

When you are mature in Christ, you think – If you want me to stay, Lord, I’ll live for your glory. But my greatest desire is to be home! As Philippians 1:21 says – For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. Until you call me home, Lord Jesus, keep preaching to me! Amen. 

“Living For Today With An Eye For Tomorrow”©

No comments: