Thursday, April 24, 2008

Speaking in Tongues

… for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks
(Luke 6:45 – ESV)

There is always so much talk about “tongues”, are they real, are they fake, or are they demonic? Let me tell you, if you start any talk on the matter you are sure to see an object lesson. You will see gums flapping and the tongues wagging all over the place!

Now let me get to the point. This isn’t what we should be concerned about when we speak of the tongue, not primarily. I am not so concerned with whether or not “tongues” is real or even if it is unintelligible babble. I don’t care if you can speak a thousand languages. Once we are born again, the first new tongue we should be concerned with is in that language we already have. If the gospel hasn’t tamed your tongue all the gospel gibberish in the world won’t vindicate your vile mouth. If Christianity has never touched your tongue it has never touched your heart.

Yes, the one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself (1 Corinthians 14:4), but how is it that someone who claims Christ can be looking to use their tongue to build themselves up while also looking to use their tongue to tear others down?

Yes, we are to be praying at all times in the Spirit (Ephesians 6:18), but how can you say that those things you speak and cannot interpret are good when all the other things we hear coming out of your mouth we cannot help but interpret as bad?

Yes, by praying in the Spirit you build yourselves up in your most holy faith (Jude 20). Yet we must remember it is the most holy faith, and a faith that cannot stop lying, cursing, tearing down others, gossiping, etc. is not a faith that needs tongues; it is a faith that needs a tourniquet!

The first new tongue we should be looking to speak with is one that speaks truth, love, encouragement, edification, and peace. Too often I have heard those who think they speak in the tongues of angels fail to realize that the one most people recognize as coming from them is the tongue of a viper. If there is venom on your lips there is poison in your heart.


“Living For Today With An Eye For Tomorrow”©

7 comments:

Even So... said...

Come on now, don't be tongue-tied, leave a comment...

Even So... said...

Wow, I sure thought this post would provoke more comments...

JoyfullyHis said...

Well, I am very interested in this post. There does seem to be a lot of pride/sniping/doubt/suspicion when you get to the whole subject of tongues. Mostly it just throws a stick in the spokes of a church service and causes distraction, unless you go to one of those churches where the same people do it every time the music service gets to a slow song and the singers get tired of singing and take a breather. Either way, if I am focused on someone else and talking with others about whether or not they are genuine, etc, then I am not listening to God, am I? I am not sowing anything that has anything to do with God or His word or any good fruit. I guess it has to do with the whole take the beam out of your own eye before you fuss about the speck in someone else's. I'm wondering too why there aren't more comments. Must be one of those 'volatile' issues. ;)

Even So... said...

I'd say so, thanks for the comments, sweetie...looking forward to seeing you, it will be a special Mother's Day for your mom...

Christopher Cohen said...

Interestingly enough, one of the first churches I ever went to as a teen, was a tongue praying church. I never understood it, maybe the same way I don't fully understand grace now, though grace makes alot more sense, and it is scriptural.

They didn't push foward grace. They were stuck on the teaching that after asking Jesus into my heart, I had to then pray for the Holy Spirit to come upon me, and as it did, my tongue would catch on fire, and I would uncontrollably start babbling this holy language. They said to pray in tongues when I couldn't think of what to pray for, and that tongue praying was the only prayer that the devil couldn't possibly intercept. Otherwise, God may not recieve all of them I guess. I used to picture the devil and demons flying around waiting for people to pray, and then catching the prayer in the clouds, like it was spiritual snail mail.

Every service we would end a spiritual power ballad, and someone would begin to shout in tongue, followed by an interpretation of the word God had for us. Every service.

The interesting part is that that was the most gossiping, back-biting, jealousy filled church I have ever seen. My tongue ever did catch on fire. Good thing. I guess God's grace had my back on that one.

Even So... said...

Interesting account Chris...

Nettie said...

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."
I Corinthians 13:1

There should be a prerequisite of one's heart to be filled with God's love before being able to speak in "tongues", but then again, this should be an obvious fact before we should even open our mouths at all, in any language.

Lord, fill my tongue with words of wisdom and edification. Forgive me for all the venom I have poured out in the past. Thank you for your grace and your mercy.

J.D. You have a way of keeping us in check DAILY. Thank you for your wisdom and guidance. My tongue has gotten me in trouble more times than I can recall. But, I would hope that those who know me, would say that I have improved. With, of course, God's grace and my repentance.

Forgive this long comment,
I am JUST SO EXCITED. It's early in the morning and we are going on OUR FIRST REAL FAMILY VACATION EVER !! YIPPEE:)