Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Daily Gospel Devotional: July 20

John 10:19-21…

Object lesson…

Once again the words of Jesus bring division, even among those religious leaders who were against Him (cf. John 6:52, 7:12, 43, 9:16). The people present were beginning to realize that they could not just sit on the sidelines about Jesus and His seemingly impossible claims (John 10:17-18). Some in the audience recall the healing of the blind man, while others repeat the charges of demon possession, and accuse Him of insanity.

This is an object lesson; the mixed response to His words is exactly as Jesus said it would be. His sheep hear His voice, and they follow Him. Those who are not His sheep do not hear His voice, and they will not follow the Good Shepherd.

Some rightly reason that Jesus’ words must be judged in the light of His works. A demon possessed man would not speak and act as Jesus does. The miracle of healing the man born blind gave credibility to His words. Others dismiss Jesus and are quick to reject Him as their shepherd. Those who are opposed are intensified in their opposition. They are coming to steal, kill, and destroy (cf. John 5:18, 7:1, 19-20, 25, 8:37, 40, 10:10).

What do you believe? You can’t just set the claims of Jesus aside. He is either everything He says He is, or He is none of it. He claims exclusivity (John 14:6); He cannot be lumped in with other religions or their leaders (Acts 4:12 / 1 Timothy 2:5). He demands full allegiance. So what is it? Is He a liar, a lunatic, or Lord?

5 comments:

Even So... said...

In the course of one year we will read
• Every Verse
• Every Passage
• Every Gospel

We welcome your comments. If you know someone who would like be included in the daily email, or if you would like a copy of the reading schedule, let us know (primesoul@hotmail.com). You can check www.voiceofvision.org for each day’s reading, or go to www.voiceofvision.blogspot.com to leave a comment. God bless you as you join and continue in the walk with us...

Anonymous said...

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses.


And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

He speaks, and the sound of His voice,
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing,
And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing.


I’d stay in the garden with Him
Though the night around me be falling,
But He bids me go; through the voice of woe
His voice to me is calling.
P.

MrsEvenSo... said...

As I was reading this I started to understand how easily our allegiance can falter (under good intentions of course)being deceived by placing it in other things. Like the country we live in for instance, or our family, job etc. God's Word and allegiance to Him must be our center. Not the "thing" by thinking it's God's will or favor that we do so. How do our actions line up with what the Bible teaches? Am I making any sense?

Even So... said...

You must have sung that at the nursing home Sunday, Paul...

Even So... said...

Makes perfect sesne, honey...