Wednesday, December 12, 2007

About That Change

remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"
(Acts 20:35 – ESV)

I am sure that everyone in their lifetimes has been the type of person who sees someone else get something good, and they feel like that person doesn’t deserve it, or that they deserve it more than the person who got it, or that they just wish someone would give them something like that, or notice them, or well, you know what I mean. We have all had to deal with being that way at one time or another, but have you ever met someone who is perpetually like that? It can be an emotionally draining experience to have to be around someone who is always looking out for someone getting something more than they feel they have. You know the mantra: “I never get to go.” “I never get invited.” “I wish I could have something nice like that.” On and on it goes. They are always looking at what someone else has been given, and they always have the same old song playing in their jukebox…woe is me, I never get anything that good.

Now for some who are like this, I’ll have to admit something, it truthfully does seem as if they are left out, left behind, or left alone, they don’t receive some of the good things others seem to always be getting. They truly don’t seem to receive too much in the way of favor or blessing, in a sense. Ah, but that is where we can see the problem; this type of person doesn’t know HOW to receive. It starts by being glad when others receive goods things. The pie of life doesn’t have a limited amount of slices. God is able to make all grace, whatever you need, abound to you (2 Corinthians 9:8). You need to learn to receive. It starts with giving thanks.

The truth is that if you are looking for chances to despair you will notice that there is always someone getting something you don’t have. You should realize that there is always someone getting something you don’t want either. And you need to stop looking around at what everybody else is getting and start realizing all you have, even if it is close to nothing it is still something and you can and should and indeed you must be grateful for what others get, it is good for them. Stop worrying as if you won’t be content until these cosmic scales of fairness you dream of even out for you. Let me tell you they never will.

Instead of bringing your misery and envy to everyone, start being thankful for the grace others get. Considering your situation, nothing about that will change until you change your thoughts about that. Give others your gratefulness and perhaps you will start receiving something other than their displeasure. Include gratefulness for the good things that others receive and then perhaps you will start receiving good things yourself.

“Living For Today With An Eye For Tomorrow”©

6 comments:

Even So... said...

I will be grateful for any comments I get...

Christopher Cohen said...

There is always someone getting something you don’t have....there is always someone getting something you don’t want either.

This is the perspective that keeps me joyful and blessed.

It is very easy for me to begin to covet....a new video game system.....a car with the new car smell still in it......a mortgage with a lower interest rate than mine.

I could have those things too. I also could live in a straw hut with illiterate children and pick coffee beans 16 hours a day, seven days a week.

Life is good. I will be grateful for what I have, for the grace God is forever showering me with, and for His timing. If I wait in the Lord, He will be my good things and all other not so important things shall fall in place.

Even So... said...

He will BE my good things and all other not so important things shall fall in place.

Chris, you nailed it...hey, whose been teaching you? I want some of that...

donsands said...

"Rejoice with them that do rejoice"

It's tough sometimes, but for the most part I'm able to not be envious. I guess it's the way God made me.

I do become irritated when I see the phoney baloney preachers having 30,000 member churches, and then they brag about it.

I want to be part of a huge church and show them. I need to be broken of this.

Thanks for this good teaching JD. You always go a little deeper, and get under the finger-nails.

mark pierson said...

Sir,

Please post this at BC blog. Thank you.

Even So... said...

Sure thing, I'll take care of that right now...