Thursday, September 13, 2007

Underline or Undermine

And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
(Colossians 3:17 – ESV)

When we want to emphasize something that we have written down, often we will underline it. If someone saw what we had emphasized, and were to disagree with what we have written, they might write and say things to bring the idea down, to undermine its effectiveness upon other readers. We underline what we really want; we undermine what we really don’t.

Spiritually speaking, our lives are underscoring what we think is important; we live what we believe. Everybody does. Whatever you do does indeed either give glory to God and His kingdom or it speaks of you as a rebel and a traitor to His cause.

To give God glory is a theme that runs throughout the Bible, in both the New Testament, 1 Corinthians 10:31 – So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God, and the Old Testament, Isaiah 43:7 – everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made. Our lives are either a display of His grace or a disgrace. Many speak of God, but why make your boast in God when you don’t want Him (Luke 6:46)?

Does what you do and how you live give credibility to the gospel or does it cause doubt in those who see you, those who know you, and what about yourself?

Are you underlining or undermining the gospel? Of course, if and when you have fallen into something and you ask God for help, and trust in Christ, then even when you have seemingly undermined God, you have underlined the gospel. Think about it.

“Living For Today With An Eye For Tomorrow”©

3 comments:

donsands said...

Good exhorting my brother.

The Gospel in it's purity is a sweet aroma to those saved, and those being saved, and unpleasant and hateful to the unsaved.

Ray said...

Man, this really hit home with me! During my recent difficulties, many times I found my life a DISGRACE, and not a display of His grace...

BTW, I want you to know that when I was really struggling, your article that spoke of Jesus as our 'convertible' really was moving, and I reflected on it long and hard!

Even So... said...

The gospel is a beautiful thing, indeed...